Penske Senior Transportation Sourcing Specialist in Dearborn, Michigan
Primary responsibilities include transportation procurement, carrier management, and carrier compliance. This position will translate customers’ transportation requirements into a carrier sourcing strategy, including carrier identification, development of RFPs, rate negotiations, and carrier contracting. Provide continuous improvement by ensuring high service levels and driving costs down through analytics, process streamlining and ongoing new-carrier identification and aggressive rate negotiations. Study and understand transport market rate and capacity trends and cost pressures.
- Establish and grow relationships with US and Canadian transport vendors
- Purchase transportation services across all modes of transportation.
- Coordinate carrier meetings and rate negotiations with senior-level executives from leading transport providers to minimize costs and maximize service to Penske customers.
- Onboard new carriers, initiate contracting and ensure they comply with Penske’s safety, insurance and financial standards; provide carrier training on Penske’s Carrier Status Reporting system including tender acceptance and pick up/delivery reporting.
- Complete vendor rate templates to trigger tariff creation. Ensure tariffs are accurate and reflect negotiated prices
- Analyze historical shipment data to identify customer-specific cost savings opportunities and develop strategies to achieve cost reductions while maintaining high levels of service for existing customers, working closely with operations and sales.
- Provide sourcing leadership on cross-functional teams for new customer implementations to ensure smooth start-ups.
- Work closely with sales and product leaders to develop rate proposals for perspective customer RFPs, utilizing market tools, historical rates, and conducting carrier bids.
- Monitor carrier performance to ensure compliance to Penske’s tender acceptance, on-time pickup/delivery and communication metrics; work with carriers to root cause issues and develop corrective actions plans to improve performance.
- Lead and implement sourcing process improvement initiatives.
- 5 years of transportation procurement experience across multiple modes of transportation required, including LTL, truckload, and intermodal.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Logistics, Transportation or related field preferred
- Project management experience preferred Quality/Six Sigma training preferred
- Transportation Management/E-bid software knowledge preferred
- Working knowledge of carrier operations, rate structures, contracts, and tariffs required.
- Strong negotiation skills. Ability to meet with, and negotiate effectively, with senior executives
- Ability to complete multiple, complex, tasks and assignments
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The associate is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Work Locations: 15301 Mercantile Drive Dearborn, MI
Primary Location: United States-Michigan-Dearborn
Job: Logistics/Supply Chain
Penske (Oracle) Job Name: Logistics/Supply Chain
Req ID: 1609636